Saturday 2 February 2008

How it went in Mumbai.

Wore my trippers, as my niece calls my splints, out here and on the evening when I went for a stroll around. I am getting looks from about everyone at the way I walk. It is making me smile though. I was a bit knackered when I got to the hotel. One of the lads carried my big rucksack to the annexe and up the 2 flights of stairs. I was pleased about that, I would have struggled. I would have got there, but not in a rush. There was no right hand bannister which is the side that suits me best.
I went out in shorts and sandals the next day. I don't think shorts, sandals, socks and trippers would have been a good fashion statement. Anyone who did not look at my sexy walk yesterday are looking today. It can't be my legs they are admiring.
Got back to the hotel and took my first trip of the holiday, I am sure it wont be the last. It was not a major one. I only had one hand in my pockets, so was able to stop the tumble and bounce back to my feet like a weeble, well get up as if I was drunk.
The plan is sandals during the day and trainers and trippers at night. So far so good. I have been out again all day and tonight and no stumble, in fact I stopped for a coffee and sprinted back afterwards. That was a Gil sprint by the way. I almost felt like I was walking normally, but the downward glances from the locals told me otherwise. I must have been on caffeine high.
Stairs are going to be the big bug bare in India. They are often tall steps and not too many handrails. I have brought a collapsable walking stick, which I think may be worth its weight in gold by the end of the holiday.
The sightseeing during the day does me in, so I hit the shower, out for a wander and a bit of snap and then home to bed. I have not been getting up too early either, so am feeling refreshed and ready to go again. It sounds like a good routine for the sight seeing days.
The pavements here are generally high and not many have intermediate step, so I have tended to walk along the road, which is normal here anyway and in Mumbai it avoids most of the people after your money in Colaba.
I can manage some of the steps to the pavement if I take a run at them and have learned which ones are too high, so I cannot make them.
Mumbai is not disable friendly on the whole, although around the Victoria Terminal train station there were a few ramps put onto the pavements, but not wide enough for a wheelchair. A wheelchair would be able to take the road most places, but accessing shops may be a problem. It would definitely have to have a servo-assisted horn, then you would be a local.
That's it for now. I'll be back with another feel of how India is for us wigglers.
Cheers.

No comments: