Sunday 17 February 2008

So far no trip

India is not friendly to handicapped people, to travel around as I have been would not be possible in a wheelchair, I think it would have to be an investigated holiday in one or two places.
For me the biggest problems tend to come when I am on the move with my pack. The buses are difficult to get on with a backpack because the step on is to high, but I just heave myself up and the Indian people can be a bit patient, so I have had a boost from behind, unsolicited, but appreciated. A lot of the kids, teenager and a few years older are very helpful, in fact the people in general are helpful.
It is impossible to move around India without hitting a crowd at some transport terminal. That is the time I need to be patient, if possible, just let the crowd die down and then move on in a bit more room, but that is not always possible. I had my wallet pickpocketed in a crush getting off a train. It is not the done thing to let people get off first and then get on, so the pickpockets take advantage and besides being niaive and having the wallet in my front pocket, I was an easy target, as my concentration was on staying upright.
It is a lesson learned though. I set myself up with everything valuable packed away, out of reach and load my gear up as I always walk with it, rather than wait until I get off the train to do so.

As for myself and how I feel. I felt very strong after a couple of weeks walking around and being in the sun. I feel quite powerful actually, I know I am not, but it does no harm to feel good. After continued roaming around and sight seeing I become a bit weary. This is when I need to take a break and have a few days dossing, which I am getting good at.
I find though, after I have hit the weary point, when I rest up I feel I have lost a bit of my mobility or flexibility. I am almost certain that I cannot lift my legs as high as when I arrived in India.
What do you do? I can either not keep going and miss on a lot of beautiful places and experiences, or accept that it the loss may have occured anyway.
I go with the second option, I am having a good time and it if I don't do it , then it certainly wont happen in the future.
It is not always easy to accept the loss in movement, but that is just part of having fsh. I have to work on my mind as well as my physique. This trip is helping me accept the condition, something I was not doing well with at home. Now I know I am holding everyone up on the stairs to cross the bridge between platforms, but it does not get to me as it used to, now instead of feeling a bit useless I am chuffed with myself for getting to the top, not so chuffed when I go down to the platform and it is changed, but that is life.
I am learning to accept help more, when I need it and do it myself when I don't. My sister said I would have trouble accepting help, as I am too independant, but I am slowly getting there, perhaps very slowly, but now I have seen progress, perhaps it will advance faster. She was right though. It is not easy to give in and take the help, I feel I am losing something everytime I give in to help. It is a learning curve I suppose. Again this holiday is helping a great deal in the learning.
After I take a break for a few days I feel great. I get up earlier than at home and just chill, doing the odd thing, but I feel loads better than when at home. The warm weather must have a lot to do with that.
I have trogged up hill and down dale all day in some places and at the end of the day feel good and very impressed with myself. I do tend to stiffen up in the evening when I sit for my tea, or just on a bench to people watch, but that is gone by morning and back by evening, if I am on shankses pony all day.

I have hardly had a beer in the last month. It has too much of an affect on my walking if I have a few, the odd one is OK, but too many and I am wabbling all over the place. Now I will only have a few beers if I am out with someone I know, but it is not a big miss, travelling on my own.
I have had a couple of comments of "Are you sure you are British?" when I have refused a beer. That is a bad reputation we have.

Something else that has deteriorated since I have been away, is my balance. I have to steady myself from a wobble more often, but I am quite sure that started before I left home. Walking on sand accentuates it, but I will put up with that, being there compensates for it.

Some of the troubles such as the stiffness in an evening, I believe may be a general affect for all people, not just fshers, but it is not a big deal anyway. I had a niggle in my back, which I initially thought was linked to FSHD, but I think it was just one of those human things. It went after a couple of days. I started carrying my small pack on the front and think that may have caused it, but now I do it regularly I get no problem. The muscles must have built up. A nice thought.

I never thought I would hear myself say this, but the walking stick has been a godsend. I have not used it much, but when I do, it makes life easier by far.
I tend to get anxious the night before I am moving locations and have to go with my backpack, but so long as I have the stick handy, there is not much will stop me. In fact thinking about it, I never got anxious before my last change of location, so hopefully that feeling is gone. I hope so, as I would wake early and ponder the move, so getting more tired and that doesn't help.

I have only had one and a half trips in 4 weeks. I got one of those "Is he drunk" looks for the half a trip, but I was in Goa, so perhaps it was to be expected. It does hack me off when I see that look. Something I will have to work on, as people don't know I have FSH and I suppose the walk could be seen as a drunken stagger, but I have such a lovely smile, how could anyone think that?

All in all I am very pleased with how it is going. I was anxious before leaving and rightly so, this is a new experience, but now I know what I can and cannot do and go with that. I am coming to terms with the fact there are some things I cannot do, instead of losing my head with myself.
I am learning that when I am tired in the mornings and starting to feel weary, it is time for a few days easy life.
I was up the hills, where it is cooler and noticed the affect that had of making me not a supple, so the heat is a good thing for me.
One and a half trips after a month and a good few kilometers under my belt is great and that is how I feel. Great.
I hope it lasts. I'll let you know.

3 comments:

mand said...

yo bro its me again i have just found this blog. not bad though you have been away for just over a month and i have learnt to comment on a blog, e-mail and now to find other hidden blogs. wow i must finally be growing a brain. you need a t-shirt with NO I AM NOT DRUNK written on the front for those rude people who stare you could also try pulling your tongue out ,that might work better!
love you loads mandy mags.x

Unknown said...

Hello Gil,

There are many places besides India that are not "people friendly," which is a phrase I like to use meaning "accessible to everyone". It has only been recently in our Country where
accessibility has to be in the fore of anything being built, whether it is a building or
transport or whatever. One beautiful sandy beach over here on the Northumberland coast has recently been made accessible to wheelchair users :o) Not that I've had the opportunity to see it yet :o( And most of our transport has lowered floors or ramps now which would be a lot easier, unlike the transport in India which you found difficult to get on with a backpack. Thankfully though, most of the people have been friendly and helpful,and given you a hand (I say that loosely...ha ha) apart from the "low-life" who fleeced your wallet. Might be an idea to sew a pocket in your Kalvin Kleins, although on second thoughts err...don't tempt fate. It might be safer to sew one in yer sock, although there again if they bend down to touch your feet in respect..Ooooh never mind, I'm sure you have thought of a good hidey place..??

I am pleased that you are having a good time and that the heat is good for you. I think for anyone who's been on holiday with the sun on their back for a few weeks would probably feel the same. Being able to relax, especially in new warm locations would be beneficial for anyone and I think in your case even moreso, especially if it is helping you come to terms with the condition. I didn't know you were struggling with this...? although we all have to try to come to terms with it in our own way. I struggled too. And if this trip is helping you come to terms with it then it has my vote, and I think all fsher's should have similar opportunity. And being an fsher, I can understand it being difficult to accept the loss in movement. Indeed, I have struggled with it myself and I always remember to give myself a pat on the back for my achievements and maintaining a positive attitude also keeps me going. Whenever in difficulty, I always send a prayer to my mam, and she always listens. It is always in the forefront my mind that there are people worse off, and I am thankful to have my otherwise good health, as I am sure you are too.

I can also understand it being difficult in accepting help when it is needed. Being fiercely independent myself, I have to stop grinding my teeth in frustration and take the easy option, it's quicker that way. It's a bit like using your walking stick which you have now come to realise and I quote "It has been a godsend." It might have even been better trekkin' around with two! Mr hindsight tripped up there didn't he...! Remember, the equipment is there to help not to hinder, so treat it as a friend and try to rely on it whenever, and you will be surprised. Where would we be without it eh..?

The photo gallery you have set up is great, and it's lovely that you want to share your venture and experiences. It seems ages ago when someone said "The only thing they looked good in was a bar!" I suppose the only thing they look good in now is a pair of shorts, you tanned hussy you...grrrr!


Carol x

Little Gil said...

never mind mandy i've found this site! must have pressed the wrong button .
i've never heard you talk about it so indepth it's good to see what your thinking and feeling i'm interested ,we'll have to talk more when you get back .
I think you should take the help offered more often save your energy for the things that you enjoy doing but not all the time you have to keep your independence, but what do i know . walk tall chest out sod the rubber knecks ,see you soon keep going your doing great xxx